By Lea Griffin
Lea is a flight attendant and travel enthusiast.
Planning on going to Mardi Gras? I bet only one city comes to mind; and it isn’t Orlando. New Orleans has become almost synonymous with Mardi Gras, but Universal Orlando has its own version of the celebration, and it just might end up being better than the real thing. Because everyone loves a good list, here are five reasons Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando excels.
1. The Entertainment: Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando not only includes the traditional parades, complete with bead tossing, but concerts featuring a wide variety of musical performances. Check out great musicians like Jessie J, the B-52’s, or Trey Songz. After the concerts, you can even have your own after-party at one of the nightclubs at Universal’s CityWalk.
2. The People: Mardi Gras in New Orleans is a common destination for travelers this time of year, and it shows. During the festivities, the French Quarter is packed with bodies all trying to party hard and get somewhere else. Want to catch some beads at the parade? You might have to fight past a lot of strangers to do so. How about getting a drink at one of the bars? Good luck diving through that tightly knit group of partyers. In Orlando, enjoy the space to eat, drink, dance, or just sit down and rest.
3. The Sanitation: Have you ever smelled the French Quarter? Imagine alcoholic drinks mixed with various waste products that have been stewing in the gutters for unknown amounts of time. The smell is that bad. The streets of New Orleans are even worse during Mardi Gras and the city has been known to employ the use of a plow to sweep away all the refuse. Conversely, the streets of Orlando are clean, well-kept, and free of such odious odors.
4. The Accommodations: Want to stay in a roach-infested motel by the airport? In New Orleans, you’ll only have to pay three times the value of the room to gain such lodgings. If this isn’t exactly what you want for your vacation, Orlando might be the better choice. Enjoy a comfortable, reasonably-priced stay that is clean and convenient. Even better, you probably won’t be kept up all night by the loud Frat guys partying next door. Book your room at the Vista Cay Resort today!
5. The Food: New Orleans is known for its excellent food. Unfortunately, it is very expensive and most of the restaurants in the French Quarter serve the same six items. Orlando has a variety of dining options ranging from affordable to classy to luxurious. If you happen to want that Cajun cuisine, than it can be found at multiple Universal Orlando locations during the Mardi Gras celebration.
Orlando even has a bonus: the weather. Since Florida is a location on Earth, there is no guarantee that it will be sunny and warm 100% of the time. However, you’ll have a much better chance of finding that weather here than in any other state. So enjoy an easy, stress-free Mardi Gras with all of the other attractions that Orlando has to offer. The Universal Orlando Resort is only a 10 minute drive from the Vista Cay Resort.